Why Choose Astrid for Rhinoplasty
- At Astrid, our surgeons are trained in both Asian and Caucasian rhinoplasties through their training in South Korea and in the UK.
- We have in-depth understanding of both the nasal anatomy and desired aesthetics.
- We offer both open and closed rhinoplasties.
What is Rhinoplasty?
A rhinoplasty is a set of procedures that seeks to improve the nasal form and function. The procedures done are different depending on the needs and desires of each patient.
Common rhinoplasty procedures include:
- Raising or reducing the dorsum
- Raising or reducing the tip
- Refining the tip (tip-plasty)
- Changing the projection of the tip (short nose or long nose correction)
- Correcting asymmetry / deviation
- Hump reduction
- Narrowing the alae (alarplasty)
- Straightening the septum (septoplasty)
The aim is to achieve a symmetrical and refined nasal profile that harmonises with the rest of our facial features.
Open Rhinoplasty vs Closed Rhinoplasty
With the closed approach, the incisions/scars of the rhinoplasty are hidden within the nostrils and are essentially scarless.
A closed approach works well when minimal corrections are needed, and can be used for bony osteotomies, nasal dorsal enhancements, tip correction or refinement, alar modifications, and bony dorsal hump reduction.
In the open rhinoplasty approach, in addition to the nostril scars, there is a short incision across the columella (base of the septum).
Open rhinoplasty is often required when more advanced surgery for tip-plasty is planned, and it can be used for nasal dorsal enhancement, tip correction or refinement, alar modifications, septoplasty, full dorsal hump reduction, and bony osteotomies.
Pros and Cons of Open and Closed Rhinoplasty
There are a handful of different reasons why you might want to opt for one rhinoplasty technique versus the other.
- Optimal visibility for surgeon
- More powerful corrections and precise procedures
- Can lead to minor scarring and more swelling
- Longer recovery time
- Less visibility for surgeon
- Limited corrections and less precise procedures
- No scarring and less swelling
- Quicker recovery time
Your plastic surgeon will discuss the pros and cons with you in detail, and help you determine the best route for your goals and desires.
What To Expect During Rhinoplasty?
Your plastic surgeon will work closely with you to understand your desires and objectives. They will inquire about any past nasal injuries or obstructions, previous procedures, and other factors relevant to your rhinoplasty.
Next, they will conduct a comprehensive evaluation of your face and nose, including functional and aesthetic measurements. If necessary, scans may be arranged to assist in diagnosis, particularly for cases involving nasal trauma. Together, you will discuss the steps to achieve your desired outcomes, as well as recovery and potential side effects.
The procedure itself lasts between 1-3 hours, depending on whether you opt for an open or closed rhinoplasty. During the procedure, you’ll likely be under local anaesthesia, and you can expect 5-10 days of recovery.
Rhinoplasty Often Done With
Procedures often done together with rhinoplasty to enhance one’s facial features:
- Paranasal / Nasolabial fillers
- Astrid Tailored Scar Treatment
- Pore Refine
- Lose The Bruise
Personalised Nasal Treatment with Genuine Care
Rhinoplasty Surgery FAQs
- Stop blood thinning medication as directed by your doctor.
- Avoid supplements such as fish oils, vitamin E, Ginseng, glucosamine before surgery.
- Stop smoking to maximise your healing ability.
After rhinoplasty, your nose will feel bruised but it will not be intensely painful. For some patients their nose will feel blocked.
- If you have pre-existing nasal blockage, do inform your doctor as additional treatment and procedures may be required. Swelling after surgery can make nasal blockage worse (temporary).
- If you require a septoplasty, nasal packs may be used and you may need to breathe through your mouth.
- For closed rhinoplasty, you may wear use cosmetics straightaway.
- For open rhinoplasty and alarplasty, it is advised to wear cosmetics after 7 days. Confirm with your doctor at your 1 week appointment, before applying make-up, in the even your wounds longer to heal.
- Often after rhinoplasty, a splint will be place over the nose to protect it and to reduce swelling.
- There will not be dressings over the wounds. You will be given an antibiotic ointment to apply to the wounds.
- Walk around and avoid lying down to make use of gravity to reduce swelling after surgery.
- Low salt diet.
- In patients with thicker skin types, swelling may take weeks to subside and your doctor may suggest injections to help reduce swelling.
- Stop blood thinners and certain supplements as directed by the doctor before surgery.
- Some patients are prone to obvious bruising. Speak to our doctors on starting bruise lasers to help clear your bruises more promptly.
The cost will depend on the technique used, the condition of your nose and the severity of the problem, such as in revision surgery. Please consult our doctor for a more accurate cost advice.
Astrid Rhinoplasty Surgery Review
His knowledge, experience and his caring nature made me feel confident and safe under his care. I wanted a rhinoplasty and Dr Jonah gave me the best advice. He always answered my questions and was always happy to help. Dr Jonah is an amazing surgeon who goes above and beyond his duties, he’s very kind and caring with a good sense of humour and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend him to anyone and if I decide to have further treatment he would be the one. Im happy with the results and feeling more confident with myself.Thank you so much Dr Jonah.
How can we help?
Astrid Plastic And Reconstructive Surgery
3 Mount Elizabeth #13-07
Mount Elizabeth Medical Centre
T / +65 6530 3573
HP / +65 8764 9219
10 Sinaran Drive #11-22
Novena Medical Center
T / +65 6273 0062
HP / +65 8764 9219